Monday, October 6, 2008

11thHHMM: Create Compassion

Join more fun here!

Recently our church leader spoke at our bi-annual Women's meeting (Relief Society General Conference), I was impressed with the following thoughts:

Our birthright—and the purpose of our great voyage on this earth—is to seek and experience eternal happiness.

The Work of Creation

The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.

Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.

Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children.

What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside.

If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it.

The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit, the greater your capacity to create. That is your opportunity in this life and your destiny in the life to come. Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you.

Being Compassionate

Being compassionate is another great work of our Heavenly Father and a fundamental characteristic of who we are as a people. We are commanded to “succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.”7 Disciples of Christ throughout all ages of the world have been distinguished by their compassion. Those who follow the Savior “mourn with those that mourn . . . and comfort those that stand in need of comfort.”
(President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Happiness, Your Heritage)

I thought, what if I 'create' little clean spots? (keep in mind I'm NOT a 'neatnick':) What if I 'create' little spots of order? (not that others will recognize or appreciate them, BUT I will). I can satisfy my need to create without it costing anything!! I can 'create compassion' in how I react. I can be an example of Christ's perfect love for all in my small acts!



So, have a wonderful week, find joy in the now as encouraged and go create something! Heavenly Father will see, and smile!!!

20 comments:

Constance said...

Thanks for leaving me a comment the other day on S&T Friday. My Hub was hoggin' the computer all weekend because he was working on his photos (from our recent vacation) in Lightroom and then downloading them off to be printed.

I appreciated your post about being creative. I recently discovered that I was suffering burn out in my job (house cleaning for 11+ years) and it was b/c there is no opportunity for creativity! I have to carve it our for myself! And you're right, it doesn't have to cost us a thing except maybe a change in our attitude!

The hamster video reminded me of a cute story. Our 6 year old grand-daughter recently was traveling to Lubbock wiith her mama & daddy when a herd(?) of wild boar ran across the road. Thinking pigs and naturally ham, she yelled out,

"Did y'all see those hamsters that just ran across the road?"

I liked to peed my pants when I heard that one!

Connie

onlymehere said...

Great thoughts. Unfortunately I had to miss this conference and will have to read about it in the Ensign! I like your ideas though! I need a clean spot just for my sanity so I think I'll have to work on that.

Dianna said...

I LOVED this talk and I loved your take on it too. I was sewing last week in my attempt to create, but cleaning would probably be more useful to my family!

Rhonda said...

This was a great talk! I think we tend to get to busy to carve out time for US to create things we love. I've recently snatched an hour to do a project or 30 minutes here and there. It might be all I have time for but it feels very good to accomplish something creative.

Lisa Loo said...

I love your take on creativity. I also love the word carve. Carving is a verb. I will be thinking all day about "little spots of order"--I LOVE IT!

Grammy said...

You are very blessed with words of wisdom. I hope we will become friends. Thanks for dropping by

Dusty (To the Moon and Back) said...

I love your outlook. I should probably apply it to my own little world.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Come back anytime! God bless!

Anonymous said...

I really loved this post and your take on the talk by your church leader. I try to create in some way everyday. Sometimes it's just dinner!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts, Carla. I love your ideas about compassion and creativity. Thanks.~~Dee

Eve said...

I loved this post. I have always been happiest when creating something. I love to make things with my hands. I do think taking a special spot in your home and keeping it neat and pretty, can be a creative thing. Then everytime you walk by it, it will give you a moment of happiness and a smile.

A compassionate heart is high on my list of things I look for in a friend. Being compassinate can hurt, your heart aches for others so much, but that is when God is truely revealed in us.

Eve said...

I loved this post. I have always been happiest when creating something. I love to make things with my hands. I do think taking a special spot in your home and keeping it neat and pretty, can be a creative thing. Then everytime you walk by it, it will give you a moment of happiness and a smile.

A compassionate heart is high on my list of things I look for in a friend. Being compassinate can hurt, your heart aches for others so much, but that is when God is truely revealed in us.

Pink Slippers said...

I love the idea about wanting and needing to create. I think this about caring for the garden in Eden. And God creating all the beautiful flowers. He wants us to enjoy the colors and prettiness of it all.

Nola said...

I loved the part about creating. May I copy it to re-read later, when I need inspiration? I often do worry about creating/being creative because of what I feel is a lack of talent and insecurity. Those thoughts are lovely, and maybe I can get past my own worries and become more creative.
This is what I love about blogging; there's always someone who can SAY what I FEEL! Kindred spirits, sister-girl!

Tamara Jansen said...

Loved your post! Amazing that God uses such weak vessels like ourselves to do His work in whatever place he chooses for us.

Have a wonderful day!

Grammy said...

Hi again. Thanks for taking the time to get to know me a bit better. And your comments bring joy to my heart. Thank you. I to made it to the beginning of your blog and your birthday. Happy belated b day. I was born June 23 so I am not far off from you in days. but I am 6 years older. I love your animals. You also have one of my favorite plants. The moon flower. I am so glad I found you today. I will post more when I get the coop done. For now I fenced the area between the house and car port.
They are now free to run around. And They sleep in the carport. it is enclosed on 2 1/2 sides and I tarped the front.
Talk again soon.
Thanks for blessing my life today. Big hug.

Julie said...

That was one of the most inspired talks I've heard. I loved it--I always feel so uplifted after I listen to our leaders. Hope you're having a great Monday. Julie

Lisa Cobler said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing.

GranthamLynn said...

Oh what a great post. And great inspiration to remind us to find joy and to share joy.
Thanks so much for sharing this.
I haven't been around much the last few days. Life seems to be catching up with me.
I hope you have a great week and come by on Wednesday for the
Share a Friend meme at my blog!
Blessings,
Sherry

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I beautiful post, Carla! Don't you just love President Uchdorf! I liked what you said about creating one clean space in your house at a time. That is how I have to live as there is no way for me to do it all at once. Thanks again for sharing this. Oh, and I LOVE your flowers! Gorgeous!

TJ said...

I love those retro graphics! I have been trying to keep our home cleaner and add some decoration to make it a nice place for my family.