Monday, October 6, 2008

My Favorite Things: Abide With Me

Join in!!!!
Photobucket
This is my first time:), (one of my favorite songs AND movies:) and I'm excited to have a good excuse to share my FAVORITE Greg Olsen art. This man has such talent!
Abide With Me by Greg Olsen

I saw this at our bookstore (near Dallas Temple-he has an incredible amount of huge beautiful art), huge, original painting, unframed, for $199.00! I had $250.00 cash in my pocket. There we stood, the painting and I! BUT I didn't NEED it. So, I walked away, and decided there must be a better (cheaper) way. Previously we have put a puzzle together, and framed it, very cheaply, SO that was my goal! Oh, the colors and detail!!! I'm a garden nut so this was just TOO perfect! And Jesus, well, he just glows in this piece!


+
=


YEARS later I found this puzzle at my bookstore (WOOHOO WOOHOO), last one, just for me, bought it on the spot, for myself for Christmas, I put it together (the family wasn't interested), glued it, found the frame at a thrift store (mom and I, she found a frame for her puzzle art:), bought a mat at Hobby Lobby, hubby put it together, and for about forty bucks it graces my living room, across from the front door, first seen by all that enter!
(my photo doesn't do it justice with the glare and all)
It reminds of the reward, the lighter yoke, the promise that is true and proven. That all this IS WORTH IT! I hope it speaks to all that enter also!!!

Below is Greg Olsen's comments on this piece:
Most of humankind has experienced some yearning for what might be described as a time of heavenly rest. This image represents that welcome arrival recorded in Matthew 25:21, ""Well done, thou good and faithful servant...enter thou into the joy of thy lord."" The Book of Revelation (7:17) declares: ""For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes."" The fountain in the background is a reminder of those living waters and is based on an earlier painting entitled Be Not Afraid. In that image, Jesus is shown helping two small children across a turbulent stream, leading and even carrying them to the safety of the other side. This painting represents the ""other side"" of that turbulent stream, a place of eternal rest, where we might imagine Him to say, ""Abide with me.""
{I just so happen to have the "Be Not Afraid" in my bedroom, it being my earlier framed puzzle art:}

7 comments:

mub said...

Oh I love Greg Olson's work! What a clever idea to do the puzzle and frame it. Hard work does pay off =)

Jen said...

What a beautiful piece. I can see why you liked it so much. I must say I had never heard of this artist until today. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

What a lovely piece of art to encourage! Thank you for sharing!

JEWELGIRL said...

These are beautiful, and I can see
why you enjoy his work. Very inspiring....lovely!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

It's beautiful and it says a lot about who you are and what is important to you. The perfect frist glimpse for all those who visit your home.

Kelli said...

Such a lovely piece of art, Carla. Wonderful post!
~Kelli

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Such lovely vintage looking graphics, Carla! And such a nice way to do a puzzle--being reminded of God's Truth and doing something you enjoy at the same time!
Blessings to you!
Claudia O.