Monday, September 29, 2008

11thHHMM: Daily Dose

Join more fun here!

Short and sweet today:
READ YOUR SCRIPTURES!
Our church leaders instruct us over and over of the daily need for daily power derived from our daily scripture reading. I decided I wanted MORE, so I needed to read what I HAVE.
I'm reading the Old Testament and have a (extended:) goal of finishing this year.
I'm using this book as a helper: The Old Testament for Latter-Day Saint Families.
It has WONDERFUL insights and quotes (not to mention pictures:). But it doesn't have every verse in it. So, then I read on my on-well, not really:).
I'm also using (when the Internet works-I was gone a week-did you miss me??? I missed you guys) http://www.readthescriptures.com, where you can set up your own schedule, and they mail you the daily reading (including audio). It tracks your progress, and includes a daily uplifting quote. (I see there are also groups available on this site)
But, most importantly, I wanted to be able to learn what God wanted me to learn from my daily time in His word. So I prayed for help. THEN!!!! I found this wonderful quote and I read it as a prayer before I read ANYTHING I want to understand or use.

Ask for the "Lord's help to ACQUIRE knowledge, to study CONSTRUCTIVELY, to think CLEARLY, and to RETAIN the things that we have learned." (Pres Spencer W. Kimball).


NOW me and the HOLY GHOST are reading daily! When I read I do feel better, stronger, more intune. When I don't, I feel like something is missing! I encourage all of 'us' to read, listen, learn, and apply this guide book for our journey down here back to 'up there'!!!
Photobucket

(The Old Testament for Latter-Day Saint Families
Thomas Valletta
Robert Barrett
Bruce L. Andreason)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out that internet site - that's pretty neat that it tracks your progress!

Manuela

Rhonda said...

I love this Carla! Especially the quote by President Kimball.

We have the Book of Mormon for families edition that I found VERY helpful in making the most out of my study and then when I started teaching the New Testament in Sunday school I bought the family version of that as well and it was likewise as helpful. I love all the extra things to help us understand better.

TJ said...

Glad you are back! I did miss you and wondered where you had been.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I would really love to get one of those Old Testaments for Families. We have a Book of Mormon for Families and it has been so useful during our scripture study, especially the beautiful pictures. Thanks again for coming today!

NotsoDG said...

Will have to check out that site. Thanks for sharing!

Tara said...

Great post! I never heard of that website...very cool! We have the B of M for LDS families and it's time to get the Old and New Testament version. My oldest is studying the New Testament in Seminary and we're trying to keep up with her....

Lisa Cobler said...

Great tip. Thanks for posting it.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing that site.

onlymehere said...

I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for the idea!