Thursday, September 11, 2008

Show & Tell: Hero Reminders...(pt 2)

Show and Tell
Thanks for joining me! Join others for Show & Tell!

Today I share my heirlooms-
First a little Tell:
Growing up I had the best grandfathers. To one I was his favorite (this required being VERY well behaved), I spoke of him last week. He was a quiet man. And I adored him.
My paternal grandfather was FUN! Teasing, playing, teasing, tickling, teasing-well you get the picture. At his house I was just 'one of the many' and it was wonderful. He told grand stories and was, well, fun. I figured he was where my dad got his 'twinkle' in his eye!
After this grandfather passed away (to prostate cancer) in the 90's, I learned he was a man of God. Who knew?

{As a small girl I visualized that I was the girl in Jesus' lap}
This paint-by-number was given to him by his sister-in-law and always hung in his house. I thought it was more his wife's choice than his. However after becoming an adult I was amazed as I remembered it was my father who saw that we went to church, more than mom, is it possible this was from the example of his father? I learned that this Papa was a Sunday School teacher, and yes, a man of God. My faith is quite generational-and I am very thankful!

This is now hanging over the table (actually since I received it, it has hung in over our table), my plans are to add a plate with the Lord's Supper on it (also this grandfather's), and a metal/wood book scripture plaque (maternal grandmother's), when I unpack them. Representing the deep roots already started for me!

God Bless!!!!

Thank you for joining me!

26 comments:

Anne Fannie said...

Carla, you have such sweet memories of your Grandfathers. It sounds like they loved you very much. I love the picture and especially the fact you have it this day hanging in your dinning room. I hope you pass his memories and picture onto your own grandchildren one day.
Love, Ann

Unknown said...

Lovely memories of your grandfather, and wonderful that you share his faith too.

Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Lovely memories of your grandfather, and wonderful that you share his faith too.

Thanks for sharing :)

Cindi said...

These are my favorite type of memories. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cindi said...

These are my favorite type of memories. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Pamela said...

What a beautiful story and a lovely treasure to remind you of your grandfather. I love your comment "Who Knew?" about him being a man of God. It seems that more and more of the older generation lived their faith quietly rather than wearing it on their sleeves. Many people today should follow this example.

Nola said...

My mother collected Lord's Supper pictures and plates. I wish I'd taken a photo, but just never did; she had an entire wall of the dining room COVERED with them. All bought at garage sales or given by friends. I saved my favorites and gave some away to friends (who would love them because they'd been Mama's). I don't have a wall anywhere to hang them, so they are all packed away. Maybe someday...

Lisa Loo said...

I love teasures from Grandparents and even more I love Grandparents who make memories with their Grandkids. I have a fork that my Grandma used to fry bacon with every morning of their 50+ years of marriage. When she passed away thats the only thing I really wanted.

Lisa Loo said...

AND I love that you have it hanging in your home and over your table.

A Hint of Home said...

I love family stories. You are blest to have sweet memories.

Charlotte said...

What a lovely family legacy. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet story on your grandfather.

Anonymous said...

What a great painting for a paint by number! It's neat it was your grandfather's and it's in your home now.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories of your grandparents & the keepsakes will be a legacy you can pass down for generations.

Carrie said...

Wonderful heirlooms with a spiritual heritage.

Carrie said...

Wonderful heirlooms with a spiritual heritage.

Hootin Anni said...

Awesome...just simply awesome. I also like how when you were a girl you were the one on Jesus's lap. I think at one time or another we all are near him...so close, we are on his lap and he holds us tight, not letting us fall.


Well, where I live we're now 'downgraded' to tropical storm warning. Which is great news from our vantage point, but where our son lives it's another story...Houston is still in line for the 'big hit' later tonight or early Saturday morning. And we still have power. I've been trying to get as much work done around the house just in case water or power goes out before this storm hits land...I'm done. All I can do that is humanly possible. We've shuttered the windows up and just wait for the worst to pass us.

Thanks again, for your thoughts and prayers.

Christina said...

Such a beautiful treasure!

nancy said...

That sounds like a wonderful display you are thinking of. What a blessing to have a Christian heritage. I have, too. Praying grandparents are a gift from God.
nancy

Kathy said...

You have some special memories. The painting is very pretty.
Kathy

Lisa Cobler said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful memories of your grandfather.

Gattina said...

It is very nice especially the souvenir which goes alon with it !

threesidesofcrazy said...

What a great tribute story to your grandfather. It is so beautiful that you can display them and the story for your own family.

GranthamLynn said...

What a great treasure! Your story was great and reminded me of one about our son. When my father passed away he asked my mother for daddy's Bible. Daddy's name was engraved in it. When our son was really little he thought because the name was on the Bible that Daddy was a preacher.
That was just so precious to me. Thanks for reminding me.
I just loved your post. And I guess we really do get to sit in Jesus' lap if we ask. Sometimes I imagine that he just has his arms around me. I really need that alot.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Sherry

Kelli said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories and your beautiful treasure with us!
~Kelli

Kelli said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories and your beautiful treasure with us!
~Kelli