Sunday, September 28, 2008

Son-Day: "In The Garden"


In The Garden

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

I'd stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.

And He walks with me,
And He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever know.


Words: Charles Austin Miles (1912)

This is my favorite painting my Greg Olsen. He has a lovely story that goes with it, and I'll post that later. When I see this I am reminded of one of my favorites hymns. I see it and can hear him say "come on in!"

I heard a country song, Lord, that said we all want to go to heaven, just not today. Help me get ready to go now. Help me clean up, and wake up, and stand up, steadfast and immovable. For You, for Your Kingdom! God bless and keep us all (and help us remember who we are and where we are headed:), In Jesus HOLY name AMEN!!!!

Abide in me
Artist: Greg Olsen
In The Garden
Words: Charles Austin Miles (1912)
- Words and Music by Charles Austin Miles, 1913
Miles gave the background to this beautiful hymn in his own words:
"I read the story of the greatest morn in history. The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, while it was yet very dark, unto the sepulcher. Instantly, completely, there unfolded in my mind the scenes of the garden, where out of the mists comes a form, halting, hesitating, tearful, seeking, turning from side to side in bewildering amazement.
Falteringly, bearing grief in every accent, with tear-dimmed eyes, she whispers,
'If Thou has borne Him hence.'
He speaks, and the sound of His voice is so sweet the birds hush their singing. He said to her
'Mary!
Just one word and forgotten are the heartaches, the long dreary hours, all the past blotted out in His presence."

2 comments:

SAH in Suburbia said...

I love that hymn "In the Garden". We sang it at a great-aunt's funeral and I'll never forget it. I was singing it in my head as I was reading your post.

Thanks for a bit of spiritual uplift this Sabbath morning.

Nola said...

That is one of my favorite hymns; I want it played at my funeral. I have it on CD by Willie Nelson, sounds kinda cool with his gruff voice!