Friday, July 8, 2011

FF: 7/8/11 Datura

Because not much new is happening here, I have decided to spotlight some old reliables (currently that is what I am most interested in, old reliables).
Datura: Angel Trumpet
We call them Angel Trumpet or Moon flower, and can always count on them to shine. 
Evening til sunrise bloomers, gray green leaves, large blooms, sweetly scented, low growing, drought tolerant.
I understand they are very toxic, so keep that in mind.
Here they re-seed, and I know in some areas the are a pest.


Posted by Picasa
But, for right now, in my yard they are delightful.



Datura stramonium, known by the common names jimson weed, devil's trumpet, devil's weed, thorn apple, tolguacha, Jamestown weed, stinkweed, locoweed, datura, pricklyburr, devil's cucumber, hell's bells, moonflower and, in South Africa, malpitte and mad seeds, is a common weed in the Solanaceae (nightshade) family.


It is an erect annual herb forming a bush up to 3–5 ft (1–1.5 m) tall.[2] The leaves are soft, irregularly undulate, and toothed. The fragrant flowers are trumpet-shaped, white to creamy or violet, and 2.5 to 3.5 in. long. They rarely open completely. The egg-shaped seed capsule is walnut-sized and either covered with spines or bald. At maturity it splits into four chambers, each with dozens of small black seeds.
(info taken from web)

Fertilizer Friday

4 comments:

Darla said...

They smell wonderful too!

Tootsie said...

I am desperately waiting for mine to bloom...it is behind...and supposed to be a purple Ballerina!!!
I love Datura!
Thanks for linking in and sharing your flaunt today!!! I always love seeing all the pretties everyone shares! Have a great weekend friend

Shirley @ The Gardening LIfe said...

Datura are lovely, especially in a night garden as their blooms catch and reflect all the light. You're right, every bit of the datura plant is toxic. Beautiful, though, aren't they.

i cant decide said...

I like! I'm keeping my eye out for these!