Thursday, August 21, 2008

View from my kitchen window

I'm going for a Jane of the Jungle feel (I'm pretending I'm Jane).
I like the sun coming in,
but my view is the drive (ugly),the neighbor's drive, and the road. Nothing exciting.
I want privacy-and still have light.
With green green green!
Soooooo...
This has been a work in progress.
Before I stated that the window ledge is too small (actually there is NO sill).

Also that I wanted some sort of shelving for plants.
Also that two plants were doing well in the window




(philo (who I call Phil) and Hoya Aloha).

08/09/08 Hubby put this shelf in.

Its not the prettiest but it is sturdy and will allow for drainage and air circulation.
The shelf had to be attached at the wall-which mushes the mini blinds.
The shelf is so high it interferes with the curtains, that I really liked, but I was able to use the curtains to add to the big window by the table.
The shelf is super strong and I can put really heavy stuff on it (BIG SMILE).
Now, the biggest concern....

WHAT DO I PUT ON IT??????
So I decided for today, to just clean up what I have and stick it up there. I think I'm going with a rectangle shaped self-watering pot, it will fit perfectly. I thought I had some but I guess I'll ck out Wal-mart next time I'm there.
UPDATE:
I went to Walmart and bought this dirt:
(I'm adding perlite to the succulent pot)















and this pot: these guys are going in this self-watering pot from Walmart.



















l to r:
2 spiders,
jews,
white arrowhead,
philo-all like the same watering.






I went ahead and potted up the window sill pot (hubby plans on putting a 1x6 in when he gets home-ihopeihopeihope:)



l to r: 2 angel wing begonia starts, little mother-in-law starts, 1 graz philo start, 3 SAD mini roses, & sad peek-a-boo.
I think (later) I will plant my succulents in the other pot-I like the look so far:)



That AND put the cover back on the ugly light bulb.
You will notice its fluorescent-we are very green here. lol

5 comments:

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

That's a great idea! I bet it will be even more beautiful in a few weeks, once the plants get used to their new home!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful idea....your kitchen window looks great!
~Kelli

Julie said...

You are so lucky to have a such a green thumb. I don't own one indoor plant because I kill them all. Your shelf looks great. Julie

Nola said...

See, I told you that you were creative! You will love that angel wing begonia; I had one that started from a tiny cutting, and grew into a huge pot, overflowing the sides!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I LOVE this post! You don't see many posts about gardening out there, but it's one of my favorite things to do! I love succulents, too. I just got aquainted with them and I'm obsessed! You know, this would be a perfect post in case you were interested in participating in my carnival on Monday. If you have any questions, just let me know! See you soon!