Friday, August 8, 2008

Show & Tell: Yard Buddies...

Show and Tell

Here are some of my yard treasures:



Love Frog: My love frog comes for the Aunt that does estate sales-I love this guy (and as you can see-he love me!)


Drift Wood: I love WOOD! This was a cool piece that just washed up.


Wire Frog: On a trip to see #6 son (my step son) graduate basic training in GA went went on up to VA to visit #3 son (my 1st birth child) in the navy. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel and I found this on clearance! It was meant to be-to come home w/me! (I think its from SC)


Welcome Washtub planting:


Cumby Frog: Once (about 15 to 17 yrs ago) we were coming home from mom's and in Como, TX was a concrete statue store, I told hubby I wanted this and he stopped and bought it (LOVE when that happens!). At the time we lived in Cumby, TX and it was thus named "the Cumby frog"-I know it should be the Como frog. It has always been by the front door, and sat on by many little ones (it likes the attention:). We had driven by it for years and I always saw and wanted this frog.


Welcome frogs: On a trip to Kansas City, KS, a girl trip, we visited my paternal cousin, that took us shopping (found these frogs at an outlet store), and fed us yummy stuff. Such a hostess (like her mother)! I wish I had sealed these, maybe I can repaint them and brighten them back up.


Armadillo: This came from a different family trip to Kansas to visiting hubby's paternal town Cunningham, KS. We had a wonderful gathering of the maternal folks in Wichita and drove to Cunningham (west about 3 hrs), and checked out the family cemetery (very clean-thanks to who ever cares for it). My batteries were weak or I would have taken a picture of every tombstone (there were many). There was a junk (treasure) shop there and this armadillo was made by an elderly man (if your ever in Cunningham, you must stop and look-she has that place packed with goodies). SO CUTE! I had to have him! (strange how my family isn't fazed by having to ride home on long trips with my big purchases (or plant purchases) crammed in a small car with them:) From there we drove to Dexter, Kansas (maternal folks) out to the "farm" home place and the BIG cemetery. They have a map posted with names on it!!! What a great idea!




Rock from farm: (I LOVE ROCKS!!!) This kind of looks like a cow skull. These are the kind of rocks they had to clear in order to farm in Dexter, southeast of Wichita, Kansas. (This trip we brought home the armadillo, rock, and a bucket of water with Grandma Matney's rose (from the farm) starts!-amazing what you can pack in a trunk!)


Calico kitty: Father's day present years ago: Hubby loves white calico cats-many years ago we brought home a mama stray (and kittens) from a family reunion (my paternal folks) in Sulphur Bluff, TX. She was old and beautiful-she had lots of white and HUGE eyes. We named her Bright Eyes and loved her dearly. The only remaining baby we have of hers is Uno (who is 10+). She left many good memories behind.


Hound dog: Father's day present: This is as close as I could find to a basset for hubby.


Pot: NOTHING grows in this pot. Someday I may want to turn it into one of those bubbling water fountain. But now it has shells from our trip to the coast in June.



Smiling Sun: New this year from Dollar Store (also where cat and dog came from) this metal sun, it reminds me of the goal-Celestial Kingdom living with God, enduring to the end- WITH a smile!

These are all in temp spots, mostly to cover possible cat potty spots:), they make me smile, and make this feel like home. Have a wonderful Friday!

22 comments:

Kathy said...

I love you garden frogs and the drift wood is pretty cool. What a great yard!
Kathy

Missy Wertz said...

Fun and fun. Thanks for sharing them with us today.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have put so much thought into decorating your yard. You did a good job. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca said...

What cool, interesting yard treasures!! I was interested in your trip to KC, KS. I live here!! Where/When did you visit??

Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing your garden whimsies.

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Carla, I love looking at yard treasures! I really like that frogie, too cute!
Love, Ann

Thru Pink Curtains said...

do you have real frogs. i found a tiny little frog on my back porch steps yesterday. He was so cute!!! He just hopped back under the steps again.

Hootin Anni said...

Love it all. But I must say I adore the Cumby Frog. That is just cool that your hubby stopped and bought it on a whim to make you happy. Isn't it?

Stop by my antique show n tell if you can. [you'll need to scroll down a bit since I added the Tropical Storm update of the damage done in Houston where my son lives on the top of my blog this morning! ---]

Happy weekend.

Unknown said...

I loved reading all the stories behind your collection of frogs etc.

Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend.

Schotzy said...

Whimsical and fun garden you ahve there! What an eclectic collection. I dont think I've ever seen an armadillo garden guardian before. Cute!!

A Hint of Home said...

I love all your frogs and yard ornaments. I've done my yard with frogs, in fact I posted them the other day. Nice job.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

You have a lot of lawn ornaments. I like them too!

Sandra said...

You got some really cute lawn ornaments, I love frogs :)

Anonymous said...

It must be fun to have those cute things come into view as you walk and work out in the garden!

Linda aka yellowroseli said...

I just love all you yard decor. It makes a garden so special. Thanks for visiting me.

Gattina said...

What a collection of cute things in your garden !

SAH in Suburbia said...

My kids would LOVE these yard treasures (especially the frogs!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's always great to 'see' new faces.

Wanita said...

Thanks your for sharing your cute garden decor.

Have a lovely weekend.

Mommy said...

You inspired me. I really need to get a nice garden going in our yard. My favorite piece was the wire frog. Too cute!

Thanks for visitng my show and tell! :)

Kelli said...

Your garden friends are so cute! I love the frogs and the little basset hound!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

Carla, I feel so inspired after going through your cute collection! Love the smiling sun, the driftwood and the frogs!!

Unknown said...

I love garden treasures.. these are fun and sure brings whimsy to your garden... can't beat the dollar store either. Thanks for sharing, Mica