Sunday, August 10, 2008

Son-Day: Welcome Home


I drug his name through godless places
And I’ve known shame that no child of his should know
I’ve seen pain on broken faces
Beyond all thought of hope
I was just too far from home
Still I always wondered when I closed my eyes

After all I’ve done
Could he run to me?
Would he kiss my face?
Could he even look at me?
After where I’ve been
should he take me back?
I would understand
I’ve disgraced him
But it would be amazing
If he still calls me son

With nothing left for me to bring him
I left my pride and turned my heart toward home
I saw my home on the horizon
And from a distance
I saw my Father
Watching for his own with forgiving eyes

After all I’d done
He just ran to me
Then he kissed my face
He would not let go of me
After where I’d been
He just welcomed me
I didn’t understand
But he put his robe on me
It was so amazing
That he still called me son


One day as I breathe my last
And I know my days on earth have ended
When every hour is spent
I will close my eyes in amazement
And I’ll hear angels
They’ll be singing

Amazing Grace
Cause he will run to me
And he will kiss my face
He will not let go of me
After where I’ve been
He will welcome me
I won’t understand
How he’ll put his robe on me
It will be amazing
That he’ll still call me son


Amazing grace how sweet the sound
When he calls me son
I once was lost but now I’m found
Cause he calls
He calls me Son
Its so amazing....

I never liked this story. I felt for the 'good and faithful' son. (I guess seeing too many people get away with stuff while I always got caught) Then one day my mom said "Aren't we all Prodigal Sons?" BAM I got it! I went back and re-read the story-to the 'good and faithful' son the father says 'Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.' (Luke 15: 31, 32) Thank you Father for wanting me back. For loving me in spite of my lost, wasteful ways. For Christ who makes it all possible. Help me see and stay on the path you have given me, that when the time is right, I will be Welcomed Home.
God bless and keep you, Carla


Luke 15:11-32
{Artist: John Waller lyrics
Album: The Blessing
Year: 2007
Title: Still Calls Me Son}
#1 Prodigal son
Artist: ?
#2 Prodigal Son
Artist: Liz Swindle
#3 Welcome Home
Artist: Danny Hahlbohm
#4 Homecoming
Artist: Danny Hahlbohm
#5 Home at Last
Artist: Danny Hahlbohm

5 comments:

SAH in Suburbia said...

Wow, this was WONDERFUL! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing it. This has always been a bit of a confusing story to me...it seems like the son who stays on the strait and narrow doesn't receive the same blessings as the prodigal son but that's not the case. The 'good and faithful' son was blessed beyond measure yet didn't see it right away. We are all indeed the prodigal son at some point in time and we are always welcomed home with open arms!!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Carla, I love visiting your blog but most especially on Sundays! You give me among the best Sunday reading. The poem and the thoughts you shared really touched me. I always identified with the good son, but in lattr years I feel more and more like the prodigal son, so this post was very inspiring to me.

Eve said...

What a wonderful post. I didn't understand why the prodigal son got the fatted calf and the great welcome until I realized that the Son at home represented the Jews, the believers and the prodigal Son represented the Gentiles, the unbelievers. Praise God, he loves us just as much. Not more, but just as much.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics & verse :)

Anonymous said...

Carla, thank you for the verse. I think we are all a little bit of both, the hardworking son who feels ignored and who judges everyone else, and the prodigal who realizes his mistakes, humbles himself and comes home to open arms. Aren't we lucky we have Jesus to come home to?~~Dee