Thursday, September 17, 2009

TT: A Lovely Day...

I have really loved this rain we have received. I measure about 7 inches since Saturday. No wind, no lightening, no tornado warning. Just rain. Some got too much, but for my yard, it was perfect.

I had yesterday off, and hoped to get outside and work in the yard. BUT the rain didn't let up. So I played inside. This morning the rain did stop. Oh, how I love to work under an overcast sky:)

My favorite thing to do during this type of weather is tidy up, and weed. Plants pull out so easy in the wet soil. I let this bed go 'wild' with wild Jew. I'm going to plant fall garden plants soon, so this morning was perfect!!

Man o man what a pile to take to the compost! (there is another pile at the other end). I love this wild Jew. It grows thick enough to detour weeds, blooms blue, and pulls up so easy. It also re-seeds. Totally carefree. The leaves do get ratty looking in late summer.
This is the wild Jew's bloom. One little boy I know called it Blue Bat Faces, I agree. (sorry I can't get a clear close-up) I have also seen it called Day Flower. I have two types, a low mat forming type that holds its leaves better. And a mounding wide leaf type with bigger blooms. Both are wonderful.


Ta-Da! All ready to fluff up and plant!!! That will happen on a drier day. I think I'll spend the rest of the day tidying the yard. No end to that for sure:) That is if it doesn't start raining again:)
Too wet to mow:)
Too wet to plant the new stuff I got yesterday:(.
But a lovely day none the less:)
I am SO thankful for the rain!! And the dirt. And the plant life. I feel the earth's energy and it revives me!! I am feeling good. I can't help but see where it comes from and who to thank for it!! I hope all are having a wonderful Thankful Thursday also.

6 comments:

Susan Cook said...

Cute froggy rain measuring thingy (don't know what to call it - lol). Hope your having a great day :)

Gail said...

Nothing like a clean bed to make you feel good.

Pink Slippers said...

I love the garden after a rain.
Wendy

Darla said...

I'm thankful for everyday the Lord let's me see....as for the rain....I really need some sunshine!

Unknown said...

Oh I can understand, Carla. I love to weed on cloudy days, especially after rain. Otherwise it's just too hot! And working outside makes me feel that way too! Lovely Thankful Thursday post!

Grammy said...

I am so glad you are enjoying the rain. We have had more than our fare share this summer. I so enjoy visiting your garden.