Sunday, September 20, 2009

Son-Day: "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms"



Leaning On The Everlasting Arms

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.


O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.


What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.


Words: Eli­sha A. Hoff­man, in The Glad Evan­gel for Re­viv­al, Camp, and Evan­gel­is­tic Meet­ings (Dal­ton, Georg­ia: A. J. Sho­wal­ter & Com­pa­ny, 1887).

Music: An­tho­ny J. Sho­wal­ter (MI­DI, score). Sho­wal­ter wrote this tune and words to the re­frain after hear­ing from two friends whose wives had died, and asked Hoff­man to write the re­main­ing lyr­ics.

This song was sung in the 1943 mo­vie The Hu­man Com­e­dy, star­ring Mick­ey Roo­ney, which was nom­in­ated for Acad­e­my Awards in five ca­te­gor­ies, in­clud­ing Best Pic­ture and Best Ac­tor. Will­iam Sa­roy­an won Best Orig­in­al Sto­ry for the film.

6 comments:

Gail said...

We used to sing this every Sunday in the small country church I grew up in.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh, Carla...I can't imaging going though life without those everlasting arms to lean on! They have pulled this gal out of the mirey clay more times than I wish I could admit. Thanks for your lovely reminders.

ANSWER TO BLOG QUESTION: Mom forgave me the fourteen hours of labor, she rarely mentions the pain or drama of labor. But oh those hiccups are mentioned every chance she gets. I will never, never cease to be told how long and enduring they were, or how she was weakened by the hiccups. So the hiccups wins hands down over labor of being worse with her.

Have a lovely blessed Monday, Carla.

Nola said...

What a beautiful surprise I got when I clicked to listen to one of my favorite "old time" hymns! That is a beautiful version of the song; and I usually don't like new versions of an old classic. But I love this! I am going to google and see what I can find by the singer, maybe he's done other of my old faves! Thanks for sharing!

Nola said...

Me again, help me out, who is singing? I thought it was Anthony SHowalter, but I googled & found out he was the original author. Who is that beautiful voice singing??????

Johanna said...

Hi Carla,

I really enjoyed the beautiful images that you have in the blog.

Wow! Where do you get it? :)

I have found this website really helpful, I'm still learning (who isn't?) so I like it plain and straightforward, here is the link http://www.sabbathtruth.com/.

Great info and really wonderful images as well.

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you. My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen."

-- Johanna

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I love that song, and did not realize it was in a movie. Cool! I'll have to see if I can find that movie.