Thursday, May 24, 2012

FF: Mormon Tea

For years (15+), I have kept an eye out for this plant
(from web)
Mormon tea, aka Squaw tea, Indian tea
I thought of ordering it online, but not knowing if it will do well in my area of Texas, I didn't want to waste my money.
As of May I am now staying (with the hubs) in a native area of this plant.
We are staying on a VERY large ranch in the hill country of Texas, and as I have been taking the dogs on walks I have been looking for the plant.
I even prayed that if it was around I would be led to it.
Later that same day, on the way back from town, the hubs (who doesn't notice plants-or at least he doesn't with me) pulled over to the shoulder and pointed out this plant he thought was cool.
(the hubs ALSO doesn't just pull off the road and take time out of his work day AND he did NOT know I  was looking for this.)



~3 beautiful babies~

It was my plant!!!
(Thank you Thank you God!!  You heard me, and more important, I heard you:)
Lots of babies for the taking too!!!
Wonderfully it had rained so the long tap root just pulled up.
Gonna take it when we go back home later this year and see how it does!!!

Happy Fertilizer Friday!!!

Info from ehow.com
Mormon tea is prepared using the stems of the plant ephedra nevadensis, which is native to the desert regions of the southwestern United States and parts of Mexico. This herb, which is a relative of the Chinese ephedra known as ma huang, was dried and used by the early American settlers to make herbal tea. It was also used as herbal medicine for headaches, fevers, colds and hay fever. Growing and harvesting the plant for use is not difficult, but requires patience.

In case you feel the need to warn me about ephedra:
{from ephedra.com:
There are currently 32 known species of ephedra, ephedra sinica (Ma Huang) and ephedra viridis (Mormon Tea) being the two most commonly used varieties. Ephedrine, the the most sought-after ingredient in ephedra, is responsible for the majority of ephedra's effects on the body. But not all varieties of ephedra contain it. Ephedra sinica is known for having the strongest concentration of ephedrine while ephedra viridis is known for  not containing any ephedrine alkaloid.}

1 comment:

Jim and Sandie said...

No matter how small our desire may seem to anyone else, our Father loves us and will help us reach that desire. Enjoy your plant and give thanks every day when you look at it.